Re: GNOME upgrade

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Ali Abdin wrote:

> gnome-libs - equivelant to kdelibs - no applications, depends on ORBit
> (except for imlib I believe) the base

These are all the dependencies of gnome-libs if you are RPMing it on a
system with a good foundation of gnu stuff.  However try compiling on an
older system, or anything non-linux or bsd, I think you'll find the
dependency list grows.

I personally have no problems, but then again I am working on mostly RH
5.2 and 6.0 machines.  But I get lots of emails from people with other
systems, who want to install my software, but need to install gnome-libs
first and are having problems.

Are there guides for getting gnome up and running on non-rpm and non-gnu
systems?  It would be nice if I could point these people someplace and not
try and figure things out over email.  The stuff at
gnome.org/start/gnometar is ok, but not the greatest.

What would be helpful (at least to me) would be some guides to getting
_just_ gnome-libs installed.  While the many package system may have lots
of advantages over a single package install, the fact is, is it still
scares away people.  If they could get gnome-libs installed, adn then get
hooked on all of the great gnome apps, i think you would find you would
have more converts.

just some thoughts.

-chris

Christopher Rogers      http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf
gandalf@pobox.com       gandalf@darkcorner.net

Spice World does not contain a final, bloody shootout involving the
	Girls, much to my dismay.	-Paul Tatara (CNN)