Re: gnome-terminal idea

On Wed, Sep 23, 1998 at 01:51:02PM -0700, George wrote:
> > The GNOME notebook starts to have advantages as it starts to replace
> > the window manager for docking together all views. For example, I'd
> > prefer an interface where error dialogs always come up in a 'common'
> > area, and are handled by my preferred error UI module. This is
> > something window managers can't easily do, but a GNOME/corba UI
> > solution could. In the case of this specific example, imagine if every
> > time any app ever signaled an error, a window would pop up, and then
> > slide off into the 'error log'. If you wanted to just ignore it, you
> > could. If you wanted to deal with it, you could. If there was an
> > action to optionally be taken on the error, you could click on it. If
> > you hate errors, you could minimize the 'error region' down to just a
> > little flashing light. Not surprisingly, this conecpt is alot like the
> > Emacs style interface that people have discussed before.
>
> no need for corba here ... actually I can't remember exactly but wasn't
> framework for some of this in there? error boxes could be optionally just
> displayed on the status line and maybe some other "error indicator" turned
> on

Perhaps you failed to read the beginning of the discussion. If it
dosn't let different views (i.e. apps, documents, whatever) run in
separate address spaces, then it's not a very good solution because it
compromises stability. Thus, there is a need for CORBA here.

Furthermore, what I'm speaking about above is having _ALL_ errors for
_ALL_ applications presented in a single 'error region'. Instead of
having each app do it's own thing and pop up it's own modal
dialogs. This can not be done without some kind of interapplication
communication like CORBA, or similar.

> > For example, in fvwm, or in Windows95, if you open several web pages
> > in netscape, all of the taskbar buttons basically have a netscape icon
> > and a few letters. In BeOS, the taskbar buttons list the application
> > names (whether it is one copy of the application, or many copies of
> > the application running in different address spaces). When you click
> > on the button, it opens a menu going up from the taskbar which lists
> > all the document names. Because the document names are arranged
> > vertically, it can include the FULL name of the document.
>
> again .. this is a WM issue ... gnome can include "hints" for this
> if needed, but we shouldn't limit notebook style mdi to that type of
> window manager

I agree that my above proposal was a VM issue. However, as far as I'm
concerned this thread was proposing (and requesting rebuttle) that
'single address space notebook MDI' is inferior to other methods of
performing similar GUI orginizations.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net