Re: a few notes on gncal

On Wed, Mar 11, 1998 at 01:33:19AM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> We need a standard abbreviation for "Control", and a standard way to
> write "Control X".  My personal preference is "Ctrl" for the abbrev,
> and "Ctrl-X" to describe the key sequence.  Comments?  Whatever we
> decide should go into the GUI guidelines.

I think Gtk sets the standard. When you use menu factories or build
menus/accelerators by hand, you will get a Ctl+X.

> Does anybody else find it weird that the standard key for Exit is
> "Ctrl-Q"?

Well, actually not the Ctl+Q. 'Q' or 'Ctl+Q' quit most of the X apps (and
non-X apps, too). But I found it strange to call that thingie 'Exit'. I
preferred 'Quit'. I might be the wrong person since I'm no native speaker,
but the UNIX world seems full of 'quit app's. I don't think we should
imitate Windows here.

But since 'Exit' already is in the style guide, you are right that we
shouldn't use 'Ctl+Q'. I'm definitely against Alt+function keys, because most
of the window manager functions are bound to it. Ctl+X is bound to cut in
most apps. So maybe Alt+X would be the right choice.

(Well, actually I don't like Alt accelerators, too. Maybe some day Gtk will
support Windows style menu keys (e.g. E&xit or something). Defining Alt
accelerators prevents us from having menus like "E&xtra", "E&xport",
"E&xecute" and so on. That brings us to 'Quit Ctl+Q' again :-) .)

--
Eckehard Berns