Trash system

One area of collaboration between GNOME and KDE (and other desktops) is
handling of Trash.  I'm sure that Konqueror, Nautilus, and EFM all
implement Trash differently, and this will likely cause user
confusion.  I shouldn't have to think about which filemanager I used to
delete a file that I need to recover.  A standard method for free
desktops to handle trash would be a pretty easy area of collaboration
with tangible results.  On the face of it, there are at least two
issues: Location of Trash, and metadata for the trash.  The location
would probably be easy to agree on, but metadata might be a sticking
point.  I'd be very happy to see some effort to make a common solution
though - it seems Trash handling is along the same lines as DnD and
Cut+Paste for users - an everyday basic function that would be annoying
to have to think about.  Trash should (ideally) just be trash.

Of course, a more ambitious goal would be to implement whatever is
decided in GNU "rm" to have a wholly consistent behavior on free
systems, but one step at a time.

Hopefully this email is of some use....

    --Ryan