Re: Hrm. Now I know why this list is dead

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I would tend to suggest writing C++ bindings for ORBit then dropping Mico,
> since ORBit is a lot faster anyway. This avoids lots of effort duplication
> as we add additional bindings. But I'm not going to do it, no time.

The problem with ORBit is that I currently still have doubts if ORBit will
be still faster when it reaches the maturity and the features of MICO.

(Currently it is very easy to crash ORBit by feeding nonsense to it. All
the necessary checks cost performance though)

> doing the same things. For example, right now we are trying to reverse
> engineer the interface between Excel and its chart component (and not
> getting very far); but anyway, once it's done, it would be nice to share
> that interface between Guppi and KChart.

Did you ever consider to look at the KOM/Openparst stuff KOffice uses?
KOffice handles the embedding in a mature way. Maybe it is worthwile to
consider to use KOM also in GNOME?

(The current Gnumeric charts look much more like swallowing than
embedding)

Regards,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Herrenbergerstr. 14, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: konold@kde.org                                         //
KDE:  A stable GUI for a reliable OS.
UNIX: Everything including a device is a file.
KDE:  Everything including a file is a URL.