Re: Unannonced team de_BY or mistake?

Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 17:10 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:

Things are changing... ;-)
IS0 639-3 now has "bar" for Bavarian:
http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?code=bar

Granted, ISO 639-3 is not an official ISO standard yet, it only has the
status of "Draft International Standard" so far, but should anyone want
to translate into Bavarian, then please use that code instead of
inventing your own standard.

Sorry for the late reply, but I consider using "bar" very dangerous. ISO 639-3 should not be used in GNU-related localization, since its model is not appropriate for localization work.

There is also something else: There is no promise the code "bar" won't
be used by ISO 639-2 for another language later.

What alternative answer do you propose for the question:
"We really want to localise, what language code shall we use?".
I am not comfortable with "Sorry mate, no official language code yet, so no localisation".

If an entry resides in ISO 639-3, it means that there are good hints that the official name will be just that.
If it does not get to be official, then bad luck, we have to do a bit more work to clear up.

Simos