Re: New team for Iranian Azerbaijani (az_IR)

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 01:22, Metin Amiroff wrote:
> The official language (imho) is the one which can be at least read by
> all Azeris over the world, in this case it is definetely Latin.

1) If "all over the world" includes Iran, there are people who can read
it in Arabic but not in Latin.
2) Even if all Azerbaijanis in the world could read the Latin script, it
would be a *de facto* standard, not the official one.

(BTW, some Azerbaijanis in Iran consider the word "Azeri/Azari"
offensive, because of certain relations to a propaganda by the Shah's
government that they don't like. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azerbaijani_language#Nomenclature for more
details.)

> Say, you
> are writing a letter to an Azeri person who was born and lives in China.
> Would you write that in persian or latin alphabet? That makes latin
> dominant over persian in usage between Azeris over the world. Actually
> persian never was considered as an option, there was a war between
> cyrillic and latin :)

You mean "Arabic" of course. ;)

But about an option, are you talking about an option in the Republic of
Azerbaijan or both Iran and ROA? As far as I know, Arabic is one the
most important choices for Azerbaijani speakers of Iran, while Cyrillic
has never been a serious option.

> Anyways, that meant to be just a small note, but unfortunately grew to a
> big misunderstanding :(

It's not a misunderstanding. It's a difference in our mindsets and
wordings.

Anyway, I should thank you for your answers, and I really hope I've not
disturbed you. In that case, I apologize and wish to let you know that
it hasn't been intentional.

roozbeh