Re: Who's in charge of translations (was Re: Tomboy is missing from the statistics pages)

tor 2004-10-21 klockan 11.01 skrev Danilo Šegan:
> > I think the past silent general policy, if there has been one, has been
> > assuming this positiveness: "if there's a po directory in a module,
> > translators are free to provide functional (compiling) translations
> > without further asking". I see no reason for this to change, since in my
> > experience this has worked out extremely well. If there is some
> > maintainer that would want some additional restrictions, he or she can
> > inform about it in additional readme files or something like that.
>
> Ok, that sounds good enough.  But I wanted to have it clear, so
> there're no surprises.  Of course, it's still up to us translators to
> resolve any issues of that kind between ourselves (I had a similar
> thing happen with Serbian translation, when one module was included
> long time ago; I discussed it with the translator who did the
> translation, he had no problems with my keeping it up-to-date and
> syncing with our rules, so I didn't just blindly "take over" the
> translation, even though above rule would sort of "allow" me to).
>
> What I don't want to happen is that we get many arguments between
> translators on gnome-i18n (imagine AbiWord with all its translations
> being put into Gnome CVS at some future date; it's a large module,
> translators there have already invested a lot of time, and it would be
> likely to have some unresolveable conflicts, since many
> people/opinions would be involved).

Sure, we need to resolve those issues before when it's discussed whether
some big piece of software with existing translations should move to
GNOME CVS. At the very least, we should make sure the maintainer(s)
understand that if it ends up in GNOME CVS, the GNOME Translation
Project would want to be in charge of its translations, so that the
maintainers can make sure if this is what they want beforehand.