Re: Evolution is out, apparently

Danilo Segan <danilo@gnome.org> writes:

[...]

> If you already started, the work is not wasted, but it won't count
> toward "supportedness" when it comes to Gnome 2.6 D&DP.
>
> (Somehow I doubt anyone passed on Evolution this late in the process,
> and I consider this the worst possible scenario: first add a gigantic
> module so all translators around the world would cheer, and then
> remove it when most of the translators actually translated most of it)

Hey, come on!

Maybe it is because Danish is not near the 80% limit, and maybe it is
because I have not concerned myself with Evolution as of yet. But
really! "Officially supported" or not is nothing!

What is important is our users. What they see - what we enable them to
do. Our translation work is about getting the free software out to
people. To show them that there is an alternative to Microsoft's and
Apple's and everyone else's proprietary software.

It's about working towards better software. About cooperating and
doing things for fun. Your work on Evolution may easily be more
important for end users than your work on the rest of the desktop
combined.

If people feel very bitter about the 80% limit, if it is hampering our
process, let's get rid of it. It's just a marketing gimmick and it
doesn't even reflect the end user experience anyway.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/