Re: Localisation Guide

> The long-promised guide that Telsa and I have been working on has found
> its way into GNOME CVS. It still has quite a few FIXMEs and gaps.
> Please take the time to send us your thoughts, or even patches. :)

Through most of the part about editing the PO file, you assume that
the translator is editing the file as pure text. It'd be better to
recommend, from the outset, to use a PO-editor or a PO-aware editor
such as Emacs, Gtranslator, Kbabel or PoEdit.

	"TRUE" and "FALSE" show up in gtk+ and in Gconf and in a lot
	of files generated by Glade. (These will have a name ending in
	.glade.) Do not translate them. Programs expect to see them
	and will be confused if they don't.

Do they expect the substrings "TRUE" and "FALSE" inside the translated
strings? Not the integer values 1 or 0 in some variable?

You don't mention GConf key descriptions. You should add a note that
the possible key values are often listed in the description string,
and those values should not be translated.

--
Åsmund Skjæveland {
   aasmunds@fys.uio.no