Re: GNOME Lovers Needed: l10n work for locations database

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 03:07, Jan Morén wrote:
> Of course, the issue of "inter-country common words" or not will affect
> perhaps two or three teams out of some fifty or more.

Ah, let me see how many I can count. This will be languages with
official status or important minority usage written in the same script
in different countries. It's possibly far from complete:

* Albanian (Albania, Macedonia, Kosovo)
* Arabic (from Algeria to Yemen, including Israel)
* Bengali (Bangladesh, India)
* Catalan (Andorra, Spain)
* Chinese (China, Taiwan, Singapore); already separated into two teams
* Croatian (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Vojvodina)
* Dutch (Belgium, Netherlands, Suriname)
* English (US, UK, and lots of other countries, ranging from Botswana to
Philippines); already separated into three teams, apart from the
original US English
* French (France, Canada, and many others, ranging from Belgium and
Burkina Faso to US's Louisiana and the Pacific archipelago Vanuatu)
* German (Austria, Belgium, Germany, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Italy's
South Tyrol, Switzerland)
* Greek (Cyprus, Greece)
* Hindi (India, Fiji)
* Hungarian (Hungary, Slovenia, Vojvodina)
* Italian (Italy, Switzerland, Croatia's Istria County, Slovenia)
* Inuktitut (Greenland, Canada); doesn't have a GNOME team yet
* Korean (North Korea, South Korea)
* Malay (Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore)
* Pashto (Afghanistan, Pakistan); doesn't have a GNOME team yet
* Portuguese (Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, East Timor, Guinea-Bissau,
China's Macau, Mozambique, Portugal, Sao Tome and Principe); already
separated into two teams
* Persian (Iran, Afghanistan)
* Quechua (Bolivia, Peru)
* Romanian (Romania, Vojvodina)
* Russian (Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia)
* Serbian (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Montenegro)
* Sami (Finland, Norway); doesn't have a GNOME team yet
* Slovak (Slovakia, Vojvodina)
* Spanish (Spain, many Latin American countries, US's New Mexico)
* Swahili (Kenya, Tanzania)
* Swazi (Swaziland, South Africa); doesn't have a GNOME team yet
* Kurdish (Iraq, Iran); current GNOME team does Latin Kurdish, different
from these two which are written in Arabic.
* Tamil (India, Singapore, Sri Lanka)
* Tibetan (Tibet, India)
* Turkish (Turkey, Cyprus)

roozbeh