Re: Yelp string freeze breakage (was: Yelp stuff)

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:43, Christian Rose wrote:
> tis 2004-08-03 klockan 19.03 skrev Shaun McCance:
> > (CC me on replies please.  I'm not on gnome-i18n.)
> >
> > So Yelp had four strings marked for translation in l10n.xml.in that were
> > just one-character entities: “ ” ‘ ’.  Most of
> > the translations continued using entities for these.  But it seems that
> > when intltool merges the translations in from the po files, it escapes
> > everything.  So instead of having “ we have &8220;, which is
> > not at all what's wanted.
> >
> > I've decided to trust that people will have non-braindead editors and
> > just put the UTF-8 characters in l10n.xml.in instead.  So the string
> > “ has been replaced by â, etc.  Please, in your translations in
> > the po files, do not use entities.
> >
> > Since intltool doesn't copy comments through for XML, you won't see the
> > annotations I've put on everything in l10n.xml.in.  For anybody who does
> > not know what these four strings are, â and â are used for quotations in
> > English, and â and â are for quotes inside of quotes.  Translate them to
> > whatever your language uses for quotations.
> >
> > As a reminder, this is all happening on the gnome-2-6 branch of Yelp.
>
> Btw, this would technically constitute a string freeze breakage for
> GNOME 2.6, since GNOME 2.6 already uses the string frozen yelp gnome-2-6
> branch, and thus no string changes are supposed to be made there. Unless
> there's a very good reason why this bugfix is very important for GNOME
> 2.6 even at this very late state.
>
> Otherwise, you either need to move these new string changes to HEAD, or
> make a gnome-2-8 branch out of the existing gnome-2-6 branch.

Quite right.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I've reverted the
change on gnome-2-6.

So I want to point out here that, for the following locales, Yelp will
show “ and ” around quotes (like, not the characters those
represent, but that actual text):  af, ar, az, be, bg, bn, ca, cy, de,
el, en_CA, en_GB, es, et, fi, fr, ga, hr, hu, ka, ko, lt, mn, ms, nl,
no, pa, pl, pt, pt_BR, ro, ru, sq, sv, ta, tg, th, tr, vi, zh_CN, and
zh_TW.

It doesn't really matter what the key in l10n.xml.in is, as long as the
values in the po files aren't entities.  I'd highly recommend that the
translation teams for those locales put honest-to-goodness characters
into their po files.

--
Shaun