Re: Translation of program names

tor 2003-10-30 klockan 22.58 skrev Pablo Saratxaga:
> > 1) Translate descriptive names.
> > 2) Do *not* translate branding names.
>
> But what about transliteration?
> If I used a non latin script I would prefer to have names like "Gnome",
> "evolution", etc. in my script.

As Malcolm pointed out, one should distinguish between transliteration
and translation.

I have little experience on how often other (company, product,
application) names are transliterated into other scripts. But I still
believe that one should be very careful with transliteration of names,
especially when not others are doing it, and my opinion is that names
that are trademarks should be preserved the way they are. Not that we
have too many of those in GNOME, though.