Re: [Fwd: Re: Translation problems]

I believe "context markers" are the right way to go. OTOH, there are
many problems with gender, and not all of them are solveable (eg. if it
is required of a user to enter his/her name, string in the form of "%s,
please enter your date of birth" is impossible to do right).

The same problem plagues other languages which use gender, but I found
it that "New" is mostly reused only for the "File" menu, where it takes
only the gender of "File". That's because both "File" and "New" are in
libgnomeui, libgnome, gtk+, and similar modules (basically, a Gnome
development platform).

Other programs which have eg. "Project > New", usually provide their
own "New" string, so it's in different gettext domains. Basically,
instead of using context markers, same strings are split into different
gettext domains. This might even be a good suggestion for big projects
which reuse the same string for many different stuff (and some, like
Gimp, already do it that way).

Because of this _limited_ reuse in Gnome project, I never really came
across troublesome strings. I may have payed not-close-enough
attention, but I'd certainly notice if it was a large-scale problem
(like that of ngettext :-).

Cheers,
Danilo