OT: Unicode and UTF-8 avoided? (was Re: Please translate beast and bse)

Hi Tim,

Дана четвртак, 16. октобар 2003. 19:53:08 CEST, Tim Janik написа:

> (hoever i've had to change your last name in the toplevel
> ChangeLog, so our doc tools still work with it)

Apart from your mailer wrongly assuming my message was in ISO-8859-1,
this is another argument to start using UTF-8.

Gnome is doing a good job here, and this is a great chance to show your
understanding of I18N issues: it is much harder to do properly without
Unicode support, and UTF-8 is the best way to do it in terms of "null-
strings safe".

It's step backwards to depart from UTF-8, when major improvements in
Gtk+2 and Gnome2 are exactly there where UTF-8 counts. Insisting on
UTF-8 was no accident.

On the other hand, since your web page is also given with charset ISO-
8859-1, you might want to use SGML numeric entities in HTML to get any
of the symbols from Unicode repertoire: see http://www.gnome.org/i18n/
for example how it's done.

I don't mean anything nasty, but the only way to do it right, is to do
it once, and make it work for everyone. The only way to set things
straight is to start switching from 8-bit encodings to UTF-8
*everywhere*.

So, *please* use UTF-8 whenever you need anything other than ASCII. In
other cases, you're already using UTF-8, because it's ASCII
compatible ;-)

But I definitely do not see any reason to have page
http://beast.gtk.org/release-news.html be in 'charset: ISO-8859-1',
when it seems to be all ASCII. Make it 'UTF-8', and when someone has to
enter a name on it, he'll be able to do it without worrying if his name
will become corrupted or not.

And you lose nothing and gain nothing (immediately), but at least you
signal support for the good cause ;-)

As a sidenote, I'm disappointed that the web, once the symbol of multi-
lingual culture, is the last to transfer to the multi-lingual encoding
like UTF-8. Client side programs, otoh, are all well equipped (look at
Gnome, even KDE which I don't mention very often ;).

Of course, all of this is just a suggestion with good intentions. I'm
not particularly offended with my name being transformed (huh, I even
do it myself :-), but I hope that one day I'll be able even to type it
completely (perhaps even using cyrillic script), so this is a minor
contribution to that goal. :-)

Cheers,
Danilo