Re: non-utf8 po files breaking the build

ons, 2002-11-27 kl. 11:41 skrev Keld Jørn Simonsen:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:15:48AM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> > mån 2002-11-25 klockan 00.02 skrev Keld Jørn Simonsen:
> >
> > The decision to use UTF-8 as the mandatory encoding for all GNOME 2.x po
> > files has been made. Please accept that.
>
> I really dont understand your rhetorics here. We have decided not to
> force UTF-8 on our translators a number of times, and then you again and
> again claim the opposite. Please accept that we live in a world that
> has multiple charsets, and please do not make it harder for translators
> to contribute to Gnome.

We are not forcing UTF-8 on anyone. The only thing that has been decided
is that all po files should be in UTF-8 format *in* *CVS* so that we
have less problems for the people trying to make tarballs once a week
and also for the people who are trying to keep the tree buildable at all
times.

If people can't be bothered with doing iconv -f UTF-8 -t iso-8859-x <
xx.po > xx.local.po before translating and the oposite when commiting
then I don't know what to say.

Of course you have the option to use tools that support UTF-8 too and
not have to do this. I use emacs for all my translation work and the
only cases it fails for is *really* small files containing less than 20
strings or so. If that is the case I just translate using some other
editor and run intltool-unicodify on the file before commiting.

Is this really that hard?

Cheers
Kjartan