Re: Please replace (C) with © in copyrightnotices

tor 2002-12-12 klockan 14.22 skrev Sven Neumann:
> > The reason a (C) is used instead of the proper © in the msgid is
> > that the msgid has to be in ASCII
>
> does it? Who says so?

xgettext :)
GNU gettext doesn't allow for non-ASCII msgids. It complains and simply
strips the character when generating the msgid in the pot file, and thus
produces incorrect msgids which won't match, so that it isn't possible
to translate these messages. I don't know if other gettext
implementations also have this limitation.

> If it has to be ASCII, how will the (C) become ©
> for the users of the en_US locale?

That's a good question. Up til now it hasn't. :)

Ideally, I think an en_US "translation" team would be a good idea, that
can fix character set problems to the benefit of these users, fixing
copyright signs, umlauts in names, multiplication signs, etc and all
other useful characters that are missing from ASCII. That's of course
just an idea.