Re: difficulties with Gnome Translation

On 27 Apr 2002, Christian Rose wrote:

> lör 2002-04-27 klockan 18.22 skrev Stanislav Visnovsky:
> > But a large number of them are trying to be a part of the official GNOME
> > (I think those on "unstable" for GNOME 2). All these should TRY to use
> > the same branches (as is partially done for GNOME 1.4).
>
> Yeah, I think it's unfortunate that the current GNOME unstable status
> contains items that will not officially be part of core GNOME 2.0 (for
> example modules that will be in Fifth Toe). I think this should be
> seperate reports.

I do think so too. However, nothing similar exists, and I have to show
people that these software are porting to GNOME 2, making them
available for translation effort. Actually I still know even more
modules that are porting to GNOME 2, but I haven't make them
available yet.

This is an internim solution; things are up to Carlos to decide.

> > > How is this? I'm not aware of any module that doesn't use
> > > module_name/po/ for storing po files, except gnome-i18n but that's a
> > > very special case anyway.
> >
> > and GIMP.
>
> Yeah, but GIMP is not GNOME (if you say anything different you will get
> a lot of angry Gimp people hunting you ;)

The second reason is that Gimp has a *VERY* large number of strings to
be translated (4000+), and they need to be categorized. Gimp has po/
directory too. But granted, first-time gimp translators are more likely
to step on toes.
--
Abel Cheung
GPG Key: (0xC67186FF) http://deaddog.org/gpg.asc