Re: Removing gthtml2 (was Proposed modules for 2.10 wanted NOW)

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 12:52, Bill Haneman wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 22:36, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Yelp now uses mozilla's gecko instead of gthtml2, so we can remove that
> > from the Desktop release set.
>
> Please DONT do this; if you use the gecko component, the help system
> become inaccessible.
>
> There is ongoing work on gecko accessibility but it is not in the
> Mozilla trunk yet.

Hi Bill,

Could you tell me exactly what accessibility problems Gecko has?  I've
put a lot of work into making Yelp respect theme and font settings, and
it's better in that respect than it's ever been before.  There shouldn't
be any problems for people with limited vision, such as those needing
one of the high contrast themes.  I'm a known mouse hater, so I know
that Yelp's keyboard navigation is good.

So, as far as I can tell, that just leaves people using screen readers.
Will pages not read properly from Gecko?  Are there other issues that
I'm not aware of?

Note that Yelp works directly with semantically rich DocBook files.
Isn't there any way we can hook the accessibility tools into Yelp such
that they can read directly from the DocBook, rather than going through
the (rather crappy) layer of HTML?

--
Shaun