Update [was Re: Intrusion on www.gnome.org]

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 13:52, Owen Taylor wrote:
> We've discovered evidence of an intrusion on the server
> hosting www.gnome.org and other gnome.org websites.
> At the present time, we think that the released gnome
> sources and the gnome source code repository are unaffected.
>
> We are investigating further and will provide updates
> as we know more. We hope to have the essential services
> hosted on the affected machine up and running again as soon
> as possible.

A quick status update on the situation:

 * No additional damage has been discovered; at the current
   time we are cautiously hopeful that the compromise was
   limited in scope.

 * ftp.gnome.org is back on now that we have additional
   confidence in the integrity of the tarballs.

 * We've now restored a number of services running on a
   replacement machine

   - Websites including www.gnome.org, and developer.gnome.org
     are back up in limited service; dynamic content is still
     off so some parts may be inaccessible.

   - planet.gnome.org is again providing all your favorite
     blogs and gossip.

   - Bugzilla is in testing mode; we hope to restore general
     access in the next day.

Thanks for your patience; we'll continue to provide updates
as we move back to fully operational status.

The GNOME sysadmin team