Re: Don't dare run out of diskspace while running Gnome...

In the evolution case, I was trying to sync my Palm (having run out of
disk space, and not noticing).

I got some of the entries, but not others.

Even worse, is that later synchronizations did not end up
getting a complete copy.  I had to remove the database entirely,
and resync it from scratch.  One wonders if a similar problem
would have happened with mail....

I believe there is already a bug in ximian's bugzilla system on this: I was
in touch with one of your support people.

I was also trying to download mail (for the first time).  This was
also failing in very obscure ways, inexplicable at the time.  Things worked
fine once I had disk space later, so I expect it was a similar situation.
This was a while later, because my gnome configuration (I was tuning menus
and doing similar configuration stuff) was so broken I could not even log
in for a while (until I noticed that I was out of space as root and fixed
it).

At no time did anything warn me I was out of space...  Either syncing my
palm, downloading mail, or changing Gnome's configuration.

One of the tests for Gnome 2 might be its behavior when it is out of disk
space.  Right now, I wouldn't dare deploy into many disk constrained large
corporate environments.

				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys