Re: GNOME2 and Splash Screens

I wasn't suggesting you make it smaller, I think its fine to have it
larger, I was suggesting you use a different aspect ratio.

This:

|-----------------------|
|                       |
|                       |
|                       |
|                       |
|                       |
|                       |
|                       |
|-----------------------|

Tends to be a more aesthetically pleasing window than:

|--------------------|
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |

There's a whole camp of design philosophy that tries to sell this for
everything from architecture to print media, but its much more
applicable on a monitor, where there is already a particular shape to
the screen space (which is generally 1:1.3). Using a tall window is
"ok", and sometimes you may want contrast against the shape of the
screen. For a splash screen though, I think its preferable to have an
aspect ratio that is closer to that of most screens.

The splash screen for GNOME 1.4 was sized very nicely, IMO.

-Seth