Re: [Nautilus-list] GnomeVFS 1.0.2 Release

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 01:43:00AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Anyhow, I do think we should have a policy here, I don't think it
> should be a boneheaded no-common-sense-allowed "if nm shows a new
> symbol you are evil" kind of policy, but also I would say 95% of the
> time adding API is wrong.

   Well, I have suffered enough from the libxml1/libxml2 split and
my lesson is that I will in the future make sure to avoid them. This
had been as a maintainer a major PITA, on the other hand I got very little
problem with adding entry points even to APIs considered stable.

   Faced to the dilemna of a branching or an API increase which will
have to occur in the future because my modules are still actively
growing (because new spec are being released), I will increase the APIs
there is no doubt about it -- unless it really make sense to build a new
module (like for XSLT).

   Trying to build an absolute rule about non growing API would put
me in a very difficult position.

Daniel