Re: GConf and bonobo-config - some ideas

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Dietmar Maurer wrote:

> Still not convinced, because I would use a fixed key and a list to
> store that. Another example?

How about this as an example:

You have a program that supports multiple profiles for a user
(netscape/mozilla comes to mind.  I have also seen some mail programs that
do this).  You want to store the config data for a profile as multiple
keys (maybe serialising the object is not convenient, or you don't want to
write a property bag editor for a large complex object or something).  In
this case, the you would want to apply the same schema to all the keys
representing the different profiles, and the number of keys (and maybe the
key names -- using the profile names as key names would be convenient) are
user defined.

As another example:

Your application saves its session information with gconf.  The key it
saves the data under is dependent on which session was running (we can't
save under the same key name, or multi session support will break).

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/