Re: About GNOME 2.0 - The end of a dream

On 16 Jun 2001 20:26:20 +0200, Martin Baulig wrote:

> Originally, I didn't want to send this mail, but after reading
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2001-June/msg00104.html
> you don't give me any other chance.
>
> Fuck you and goodbye isn't what a good release coordinator or
> any person with "leading qualities" would ever do, but I simply
> spent two much time and efforts into GNOME 2.
>
> Suddenly, I'm now the bad guy and I get flamed from almost everybody,
> so it's time for me to face the truth and see that my work on GNOME 2
> is no longer appreciated.

that's not true, Martin. There are lots of people (included myself) who
appreciate what you do for GNOME

> At the moment, I don't see any reason why I should do any further work
> on libgnome or libgnomeui, this will only make more people even more
> angry and doesn't buy us anything.
>
> I believe in Bonobo and that Bonobo is the future, and now I need to
> thank Michael for keeping libbonobo and libbonoboui almost totally
> independent of libgnome and libgnomeui, so it should be a one day
> hacking effort to remove the remaining bits of it and to make GNOME 2's
> Bonobo independent of libgnome(ui).

yes, that's a very good thing, and I'd like also to thank Michael (and
other people that may have helped him) for putting all non-UI stuff in
libbonobo :-)

> So at least not all my work was in vain since I can now concentrate
> more on Bonobo and maybe even help Michael with ORBit2.
>
> You guys should also find another release coordinator who can then
> decide to do whatever he wants with libgnome(ui).

that would be a great loss, so please people, let's not let this happen.
Martin is one of the key developers in GNOME, and I myself remember
hearing at GUADEC that it was decided that Martin would do the work for
gnome-libs, and, so far, he's done his part of the deal.

> As a last word, let me quote Jabob's GNOME 2 proposal
> http://primates.ximian.com/~jacob/gnome-libs.html:
>
> "Originally, the GNOME project's goal was to create a component architecture.
>  Then people got sidetracked with the desktop environment thing. With
>  GNOME 2.0, we can finally put these together and for the first time create
>  a desktop environment made up of components.
>
>  The bonobo integration is important to do now, because we will really not be
>  able to do it at this level until the next large revision of GNOME, which will
>  be quite some time from now, most likely.
> "

I 100% agree

>     "
>       - Gnome 2.0
>
>         There is concerns that people are adding to HEAD, not stabilizing
>         it, working that way there is few chances we can ship in time.
>
>         Seems that porting the stable branch to GTK-2.0 sounds a more
>         reliable way to end up with something stable. Some libgnome
>         APIs needs to be removed by their new GTK counterparts, but
>         we should avoid unstable changes at the Gnome level.
>     "

I am really surprised. Was that really decided on the board, or is just
a personal opinion from someone on the board?

cheers

--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/