ALS interoperability hothouse

Hi,

As part of ALS, there's an X Technical Conference, hopefully lots of
people will be there. (If you didn't know about it, sign up now!)

 http://www.usenix.org/events/xfree86/
 http://www.linuxshowcase.org

Keith Packard wants to set up a "hothouse" for interoperability
issues. We'd have computers, whiteboards, hacking space basically, for
a whole day if we want (I think, Keith correct me if I'm wrong).

So we need to get an idea how many people would be interested in this,
and what we'd like to work on, so we can plan the time and place.

What do people think would be nice projects? I guess they don't have
to be things we can complete in a day, but they should probably be
small enough to at least get a nice start on. I haven't ever done a
hothouse like this so I'm not sure exactly how to approach it.

Some example ideas:

 - get Konqueror and Nautilus interoperating with the new thumbnails
   spec

 - sort out the whole xalf mess - actually write down a common spec,
   that works 100% reliably in principle, and implement it for GNOME
   and KDE panel (the launch feedback in both GNOME and KDE is pretty
   unreliable right now, it often "sticks")

 - try running crazy combinations, like Konqueror + Sawfish
   or Nautilus + KWin, and fix interoperability bugs

 - drag-and-drop fest; get as many DND operations working
   between GNOME and KDE apps as we can in one day

I don't know, those are just random thoughts. It mostly depends on
which hackers will be there and what code they usually hack on.
Who's planning to attend? Anyone have some cool ideas?

Havoc