Re: Bugs in Bugzilla

Joe Shaw <joe helixcode com> writes:

> > The default permissions for new accounts lets anyone change any part
> > of a bug; instead I think only maintainers of a package should be able
> > to change bug status by default.
>
> Hrm. I tend to feel that anyone with an account should be able to change
> any bug but that only developers should have accounts. Meaning, you don't
> need an account to submit a bug, but you need one to change it. Of course,
> I suppose this doesn't really work if you were the submitter and want to
> add information. We could probably have a seperate page for adding
> information (addition comments, URL, screenshots, whatever) to the bug by
> anyone.

Bugzilla makes it easy to give different permission levels for
changing various things. Personally I think anyone should be able to
at least:

Cc themselves on a bug report; add a comment to the description; add an
attachment; verify or reopen a closed bug

Perhaps more controversially it's also useful if you can change the
title/summary and add to the "this bug depends on" or "this bug
blocks" field.

It requires an account even for submission to ensure a valid email
address.

> > I don't see the point of having both Priority and Severity; I think we
> > have Priority turned off for Red Hat. Eazel was using Priority I guess
> > - what do you guys do with this field vs. Severity?
>
> At Helix we don't do anything with it. I've always found it rather
> redundant myself. Priority seems to be the default way of sorting them,
> though. I suggest we drop priority.

Priority is, well, priority, i.e. which bugs are most important to
fix. You can use that to decide what order to use to work on
things. However, making good use of it requires a person or team to
set the priority for everything according to a consistent policy.

 - Maciej