Re: GNOME 2.0 Release Coordinators

+++ Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 01:28:52AM -0800 +++
Maciej Stachowiak e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.

> The Board is starting to think about Release Coordinators for GNOME
> 2.0. We'd like 2 or 3 of these folks to kick off the 2.0 Release Team.
>
> The requirements are:
>
> * Must all work for different companies (or be independent)
>
> * Must be majorly involved with GNOME development
>
> * Must have sound technical judgenent
>
> * Must have good communication skills
>
> * Helps to have decent organizational / project management skills
>

> We also don't really want the same people (or the same companies) to
> be handling this each and every time. The coordinators for the last
> few releases are, for referece:
>
> 1.0.55 - Elliot Lee
> 1.2    - Jacob Berkman
> 1.4    - Me and Jacob Berkman
>
> We can discuss this publicly for a bit, or people who are interested
> can email me privately, and I will forward info to the board. The
> Board will make the final decision on this.

One of the people constantly doing fundamental work on the bare
metal of gnome-libs is Martin Baulig. He also seems to have a firm
understanding of key issues (like popular cut-and-paste code which
should be moved into libraries and such). Furthermore, he's one of the
overall most technically competent and friendly people I've come to
know. After having worked with him in the real life at LinuxTag 2000,
I'm also completely sure that he's got all the communication,
organisation and management skills he needs for the job, and more.

To ensure that the technical core of GNOME 2.0 is the best possible,
Martin should be a member of the team. Perhaps releasemaster for
gnome-libs and related fundamental packages?

mawa
--
...the battle is *still* being fought over /proc and what goes in it,
and the Real Traditionalists(tm) would still sell their grandparents