Re: Two new projects in the CVS and 5th Toe

ons, 03.09.2003 kl. 15.29 skrev Murray Cumming:
> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 15:11, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 14:17, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > > This is just my own opinion, but I don't think GNOME's resources should
> > > be used as a sourceforge. There is a random bunch of stuff in GNOME's
> > > cvs, but I think anything new should be something that we think might be
> > > part of the GNOME platform or desktop one day. It's hard to think about
> > > that for a first version of something.
> >
> > I totally disagree with all of this. Some minimal resources on
> > cvs.gnome.org costs us nearly nothing. Most projects like these are
> > small and don't generate a huge amount of traffic, so the cost to the
> > gnome project is very low. However, the gain of goodwill from developers
> > is immense (in fact, its the only thing of lasting value the gnome
> > project has).
>
> Yeah, those are good points. I guess I'd be more concerned about adding
> new cvs users just for their own modules because then we'd have loads of
> non-GNOME contributors taking up resources and having full write access
> to everything. For existing contributors such as Ole it seems fine to
> let them use the resources as they like, within reason.

Just in case you haven't heard about the new CVS machine...

We've got a new machine from HP with 5-600 Gigs of diskspace and dual
2.8 GHz processors and 6 Gigs of RAM. I think we can afford to lower the
bar wrt what goes into CVS. Not that any junk module should be in CVS,
but a GNOME app that is useful should go in just to ease the work for
the translators and documenters IMO.

Cheers
Kjartan