Re: Gnome login performance

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 02:19:51PM -0400 or thereabouts, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM> writes:
>
> > Gnome Login Performance Analysis
> > By: Brian Cameron (Brian Cameron sun com)
> > Last updated: October 4, 2002
> >
> > I did a performance analysis of how long it takes the various Gnome
> > programs to startup on a Solaris system.  It seems that the functions
> > that are using the most time are fairly system indepentant, so I
> > suspect that the performance ratios are similar for all distributions.
> Important information that seems to be missing here is whether the
> timings are on a fresh login after boot, or on a warm system (logout,
> log right back in.)
>
> On Red Hat Linux, a very large percentage of the time logging in is
> spent loading libraries off disk.

On my MediaGX with 96Mb of RAM running RH 8.0 with no tweaks or
changes from the defaults, when starting X, I get a blank screen
for over a minute before the splashscreen even occurs.

This is when I start X after booting up. Alan reckons it's drawing
the background that is taking the time. So I suppose this should
go against gdk-pixbuf. If someone will tell me what I should be
looking at, I can follow directions. I don't have any fancy tools
for this though: just assume what you'd find on a reasonably full
Linux install.

Telsa