Re: Is Flaming Good?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan "Effugas" Kaminsky <effugas@best.com>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 3:54 AM
Subject: Is Flaming Good?

>I'm not fighting the fight for
>myself.  I'm fighting it for the future of free software:  An industry
known
>not for saying no but for saying "fuck off you suit you don't have a clue"
>is NOT going to earn much corporate respect.

If this is your reason for continuing to fight, I suggest giving up.  :)
Seriously, though, "corporate respect" for the free software support and
product enhancement request mechanisms is something that is unlikely to ever
really happen.

Free software has an advantage, though, in that corporations do not need to
respect the authors, only respect the fact that the company that they are
paying their Million $$$ support contract to has the legal right, and the
know-how to fix it themselves if they have to.  Ultimately, this is much
more reliable and stable than free developers or closed-source companies
ever could be.  :)

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/