Re: Apologies to gnome-gui if I ever said you guys were flamers...

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:59:25 -0700, effugas@best.com <Effugas\> wrote:

>>"Havoc" == Havoc Pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:
>>
>>Havoc> It's great to please the users and that is the ultimate
>>Havoc> goal. But first someone has to write the code. Not only that,
>>Havoc> *volunteers* have to write the code, because they want to.
>>
>>I tried to explain to Dan the other night on IRC.  Apparently, he
>>didn't get it.  Sigh.
>

>The general message I recieved from the coding contingent was "Well, we
>don't care if you have a good or well developed idea that everybody wants,
>we're doing our own thing, so shut up if you can't code, you're a dumbass
>since you can't code, I'm only going to give you web space if you code
>something, wahhhhh we're coders so we're special."

I think the message was more along the lines of "your ideas aren't
well-developed or good until there is code to match".

If your ideas are good, then code them.

If you can't code, then learn how.

If you don't want to learn how, _then_ it is "too bad" as far as making
things happen.

>I still haven't heard a response:  If I'm not supposed to write proposals,
>why are there proposals on the GNOME web page?

I don't think anyone told you you weren't "supposed to" write proposals.
You are free to to write proposals. You are also free to complain when
other people don't like them, but try to consider that things will not get
done unless you either (a) convince other people to do them or (b) do them
yourself.

The best way to convince someone to help, _and the only way to prove that
your design is indeed valid_, is by implementing it.

I have just added your proposal to the web page,
-- Elliot
Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from smart
people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart
terminals.  -- obs@burnout.demon.co.uk