Re: The future course of the UISG..

> > Hmm.. I'm sorry to hear that you've chosen to abandon the RSG, Tom.
> > There IS much work still to do, and organized contributions / cooperative
> > development are the real wind in the sails of this boat when it comes to
> > moving forward.
>
> I cannot speak for Tom, but I believe the reasoning was that RSG was
> needed since there was no Open / Bazaar development process available for
> the style guide, since UISG was not taking that design model.  With the
> UISG no longer being touted as the Official style guide, and development
> continuing under Federico, the project is not as necessary.

Definately agreed., with "not as necessary" being the key element. Being
alleviated of the responsibility of playing traffic cop here on the
mailing list, in -addition- to coming up with a style guide is a relief I
couldnt possibly convey to you; But the job still has to be done. Thats
where the UISG stands right now; The document will be completed, and
simply delivered to Federico for his review. He takes what he likes from
it, and the document has met its desired purpose.

> Organized contributions and cooperative development are important.
> Federico will be maintaining such development.  Efforts by Tom to do so
> would be redundant and unnecessary.
>
> It seems to me that UISG development at this point is also redundant.  Of
> course you should do as you will.

Well, it may be redundant, but i'm sure Federico would like to see
offspring documents which did keep the essence of the Mac Human Interface
Guidelines intact, geared towards Gnome. Thats what we're doing. By
developing the UISG to its maturity, we're not trying to imply that we
think it should be accepted outright by Federico. Our job is to make a
document. Its just no longer our responsibility to be the defacto
standard, which is a load off ALL of our collective backs.

> > What would really be cool, is if you could still contribute to the ongoing
> > effort on an individual basis. How bout it?
>
> I too hope that Tom will contribute on an individual basis.  Some of the
> flames directed at him were pretty harsh and uncalled for, so I would not
> be surprised if he took a break from the list for a time.

I'd like that, as well. Tom had alot of good ideas, but unfortunately got
swamped within the workload such an undertaking brings with it. These
sorts of projects are not easy to undertake, let alone complete.

Bowie