Huge Batch Reply: Stephen

Stephen:

>1: Microsoft did not cheat to get C2.
> C2 is simply that weak.
> In other words: C2 does not say much about security

The engineer who made a C2 certifiable NT box has publically come out
AGAINST Microsoft for misinterpreting(intentionally) his work.

Anyway only NT3.51 has been certified...MS is acting like 4.0 was ceritifed.

Someone’s gotta make a Linux Orange Book box...

>2: C2 is not NT specific

All the better reason not to suck it up for GNOME.

>3: What do you prefere in our context ?
>
> Comp2?

Too DefConny.

>Page Setup is clearly an Option (or Preference what ever the difference
is).

If I didn’t say this already, Page Setup applies to windows that don’t have
ANY WYSIWYG context...it sets how the stuff is printed...it’s an output
setting.  Yup, more I/O.  ALL FILE IS I/O.  File = I/O.
Document...session...sound...those aren’t necessarily I/O headings, though
only I/O entires belong here...

>Lets call it GNOME menu or Footmenu.
>The word program is misleading if (and I hope we do) use the GNOMEprint.
>Only people on this mailing list will know what we are talking about.

Good point.

What do you think about allowing access to the main gnomeprint from the menu
gnomeprint?

>Sorry, but everytime i hear you say "everybody" you actually
>mean either "I" or "everybody who has used computers, but
>Windows exclusivly".

Calling me Windows Centric?  Who is Mr. Assumption...my GF got her first
computer four years ago, her only computer ever, and it’s a Macintosh.

GNOME would be among the first interfaces to dump File and File::Quit...and
I FEAR my girlfriend’s reaction from everybody.  THIS IS A NON GEEK GETTING
PISSED OFF AT SOMETHING WE’RE THINKING OF DOING.

Alert!  Alert!

>I exit 90% of my programs with c-x c-c, but I
>don't claim to represent everybody.
>Why make silly concessions to Windows users and confuse everybody else.
>We agree that "exit" belongs in the foot.
>If we repeat it in "file" people will wonder where the difference is.

I like the menuprint getting “Force Quit”(because the icon is generated by
GNOME itself, it should work when the app freezes, so there’d be a very easy
way to kill a frozen app) and the File menu getting Exit.  Force Quit would
STILL call exit, but if Exit didn’t respond, SIGKILL time.

>Your argument for the leftmost menu says "exit" should be in foot.

Yeah, users also expect New, Open, Print, etc