Huge Batch Reply: Preben

Preben:

>Could you please try to limit your postings. I simply do not have time
>to go through 200 mails each day... and as I can see there are mainly
>3 people behind all the postings...
>
>Please...

This an OK method?

>To test out the different whistles and bells we need to make one or
>more test programs. What would be very nice would be to make a program
>which purpose was to guide you through the Style Guide and with an
>example button (or someting) so that the developers can read example code
for
>she/he to use when making her/his Gnome Program.

Bing, great idea.

>I disagree. I think it was a VERY fine idea to split by scopes. app-wide?
>- program menu; current file? - file menu

Believe it or not, I agree.  I just don’t think there are SOOOO many things
to go in here for it to be spelled out on the left.  If the user opens the
menuprint itself first, the print belongs on the right.

There’s nothing critical besides force quit or exit that goes into the
Program menu that NEEDS to be in the program menu and is already in use.

Menus DO get harder to use as more and more entries go in.  Pie menus...

>I notice that many argue that the system should be nice and easy for
>new users. This is fine. But I think in the long run we gain more by
>concentrating on making a system that is good for the advanced user.
>
>Take this example:
>
>One make a nice little GUI app so that one can add a new user to your
>linux system. Now this is fine and easy to use. The problem arises
>when a sys admin wants to add 200 new and remove 20 old. Sitting and
>clicking to add 200 new users is a painstaking job at best. This could
>probably be done in a much faster way.
>
>So when discussing whistles and bells it is more important to think of
>the long term effects, than to convert every M$ user on the planet...

Agreed.