Re: RGSG - File Menu

Dan Kaminsky wrote:

> I've never met a user who had trouble figuring out that exiting an
> application is one way to close all files that the file has open.  They
> usually do this if the app designer forget to have a Close All command.

"quit" never means "close all files." "quit" means "kill the process."
closing all files is just a side-effect of killing the process. if you
still can't understand any of the arguments yet presented against
file->quit, let this one stand: say what you mean. mean what you say.

i love the gimp. i keep it open all the time because i'm always
retouching and color-correcting graphics and photos that friends send me
via email. it sits on my screen, taking up very little deskspace (as
it's usually shuffled to the back or kept on a different desktop) and
usually has no files open.

say i want to restore it to that state after finishing up a fairly large
project involving several different files.

"file->quit" means the same as "quit files?" no. it means "kill
process." i don't want to kill the gimp process. i want to keep it alive
for the future, but "file->close all" is precisely what i want to do.

say what you mean. mean what you say.

> 1)  A consistent phrase in the left hand side increases retention and
> usability.  (Phrase doesn't have to be File.)

finally, the first argument i've actually seen from you that tells why
it's a good idea to keep it.

however, the same argument stands for tmfkap.

> 2)  File is standard--this must be considered, Aquinas has a point here.

it's being considered, but the fact that it exists now does not make a
good argument for it.

> 3)  "Program"--so am I saving a program?

wasted argument, considering that nobody has proposed moving "save,"
"open," "save as," "close," et al to tmfkap. only "quit" and other
options which apply to the whole application.

safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin