Re: RGSG

Dan Kaminsky wrote:

> >ghostview? gimp, btw. also doesn't have an edit menu...
>
> Ghostview.  Copy the onscreen image as a big hunka hunka burning bitmap.
> Paste and cut aren't appropriate.  (Well, unless you want to paste a big
> piece of postscript into a new image for ghostview to grab, or maybe if you
> want to render some stuff by ghostview, just paste in the appropriate
> postscript?)  GIMP doesn't have edit...hurm, weird case, very thin place for
> the menu to go I guess, but if GIMP truly doesn't have any facilites for
> cut/paste, then that's a bug, C1 level with gnome compliance, because I use
> cut/paste all the time in photoshop.
>
> (Why no gimp?  Like I said before, my debian 2.0 cd is on its way :-)

yes, gimp _does_ have an edit menu! yes, i _am_ mad about this because i
_love_ the gimp interface and think it's a cardinal sin that both of you
have made this mistake! :)

the menu system in the gimp is quite revolutionary, and imo among the
better interface innovations i've seen/used/taught in the last ten
years.

the menu does not exist as a bar (except in the toolbar window), but is
right-clickable inside the graphics window itself. when you right-click
there, the menu that springs up contains all your favorite menus (file,
edit, etc.) that you're used to seeing, and all of the options available
within that set of menus is specific to the one window you've
right-clicked in.

it would be a simple matter to make this interface available from within
_all_ gnome applications, too: make a user-configurable setting to make
the menubar disappear, but reappear as a menu itself (i call it the
"root menu") when mouse button 3 is depressed in a window.

for a better example, try right-clicking a picture in electriceyes: i
call this a better example because the "quit" command (as well as other
necessary "tmcfkap" [the menu choice formerly known as prog] commands)
are right in the root menu, instead of in a submenu.

yes, i've suggested this idea before, and explained why i like this
idea, why it looks good, works well, is easy to implement, and is easy
to teach/learn, but i can't code it myself and must therefore throw the
idea at the mercy of the programming contingent among us if this (imo
great) idea will ever come to fruition. any programmers feeling bored
out there?
safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin