Re: RGSG

-----Original Message-----
From: sun <as387@yfn.ysu.edu>
To: Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com>; gnome-gui-list@gnome.org
<gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Sunday, August 02, 1998 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: RGSG

>Dan Kaminsky wrote:
>
>> Users EXPECT File.  Do we gain enough by breaking this expectation?  File
>> and Edit are needed.
>
>consider digital audio workstations that do audio-sample sequencing.
>most of the ones i've used "think" in terms of "projects" or "sessions."
>there's no sense in having a "file" menu, considering a five-minute
>"session" could be comprised of hundreds of smaller sample files, plus
>non-destructive edits files, plus mixer automation files, plus a
>sequencing information file...

A project is a bunch of files.

New Project gives you a place to put a bunch of files.
Open Project lets you open up an organizer for a bunch of files.
Close Project lets you close an organizer of files.
Print Project lets you print out the contents of an organization of files.
etc. etc. etc.

What do you want, a files menu?  I mean, even when you hit open, you can
choose from multiple files.  But that's too much pain for not enough gain.

File|Settings is bad--unless you're changing the settings on the active
file.  But that's it.

>i think a program should have a "file" menu _only_ if it deals with
>individual files as its basic form of storage. most games, for instance,
>would not have a "file" menu either. many don't already.

Open save game FILE...clear high score FILE...exit this game FILE...

>as far as "edit," same story: only include it if there's a real use for
>it. if there's no content to copy or paste, your "edit" menu is pretty
>worthless. don't put a down button next to an elevator in the basement.

Edit can be worthless, but only in games.  mIRC in Windows has no edit
menu...ooh, hope nobody wants to copy and paste...