Re: The Help Menu

Juri P Pakaste <juri@iki.fi> wrote:
> > Probably because none exists. :) I see no reason to scrap "File" as
> > an appropriate menu item--why would you want to?
>
> (Sigh - the archives aren't searchable, so I have no idea whatsover
> how many times what I'm about to post has been shot down.)

first off - the thing we were talking about was NOT meant to replace the
"file" menu.

second:

> Of course, this goes hand in hand with hiding several other things
> associated with handling files, and it seems unlikely to happen any
> time soon, although I think the idea is good.

you have a point here. however, people are by now used to the "file" menu,
so I guess it's there to stay for now.
but gnome is moving to a bit of more abstraction. for example, the v1 style
guide did already suggest that no plain "new" menu entry should be there,
instead it should tell what it will create, like "new table", or "new text
document" or whatever.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.