Re: Record Button?

Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> Should every window have a record button, right up there next to minimize
> and maximize?

NO !

one important rule of ui design is to NOT put rarely needed things anywhere
up front. put a record option in some menu, but don't create a new top-level
button for something that'll be used once a year.

> 1)  Macros For The Masses.  This is a Good Thing!
> 2)  MUCH easier tech support.  "Hi, I was using your application and it
> crashed.  Here, watch what I did to make that happen."

you're dreaming. :)

I read that reply from the xlab guy. did you notice that what he said about
contextes?
see, xlab replays, it's not smart. a macro might (and WILL) break just
because you have the window at a different size than the one who recorded
it.

> VCR's have record buttons, so that's a Real World(what's that?) link.

tv's have a fixed screen size. (at least within the major systems, I'm not
sure if pal and ntsc use the same pixels.)
in addition, tv's have only one "user context" and no interaction.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.