Re: Making our documentation more cohesive

On 10/15/05, Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net> wrote:

> 2) Standardize the titles of each document by removing version numbers,
> fixing capitalization, removing unnecessary articles and adding a type
> to the title such as "Manual", "Tutorial", or "Guide".
>
> - Many documents have a trailing version number in their title.  I would
>    like to remove this from all documents, since docbook provides an
>    element, <releaseinfo>, to contain this.  Having the version number in
>    the title is superfluous and distracting.  This will need to be
>    changed in translations as well.

The version number is there for a reason. Namely, GFDL requires that
"derivative document" must have a different title than that of the
original document. Thus, if the document title is just "gedit Manual",
no one  but the original author can make modifications and release
under the title "gedit Manual". Having version number as part of title
bypasses this problem.