Re: An introduction

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 06:41, deirdre williams wrote:
> You seem to think that there is work going on in Sun that you don't know about.

Deirdre -

Hi. Good to hear from you.

I think you misunderstand the concern that Shaun is raising. The problem
is not that the Sun team is not keeping us posted on what manuals are
being worked on. It is the fact that the work is being done behind the
scenes, out of public view, and does not become public until a final
version of the manual is placed in CVS.

This is different than the normal GNOME working style - including the
working style used by the Sun hackers writing GNOME code. Most work is
placed in CVS as it is being worked on, on essentially a daily basis, in
draft form. That allows others to work collaboratively on the work as it
is in process, offering suggestions, revisions, etc. It also allows
anyone, transparently, to see where the work is headed.

I think Pat, Breda, Eugene and the others have worked mightily to keep
us apprised of the work that the Sun docs team has been doing, and I
appreciate those efforts. I think Shaun was raising a more subtle point
- that no one but the Sun people get to look at and contribute to the
work while it is in progress, and that this differs from the way
collaborative work is done throughout the rest of the GNOME project.

Cheers,
John