Re: Glossary: i18n,

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:36:44AM +0100 or thereabouts, Frank Rehberger wrote:

> Well, this might be the right channel to ask:
>
> Does anybody know where these (heavily used) acronyms are explained for
> developers and users?
> i18n, L10n and a11y are not self explaining, shouldn't they go into
> Glossary (maybe "General Technical Terms")?

The word list is terminology to use in documentation for users.
I am not sure we should be using these abbreviations in such
documentation: we can spell them out there as they occur anyway.
Do they actually occur (in full, I mean) in documentation we ship?

What you are quoting from here...

> i18n == "internationalization" ("i" + 18 letters + "n")
> L10n == "localization" ("L" + 10 letters + "n"; upper case L is used to
> distinguish it from the numeral 1 (one))
> a11y == "accessibility" ("a" + 11 letters + "y")

...looks like the Mozilla jargon list. We don't actually have
a Gnome equivalent, although it might be argued that such a
thing would be useful for new contributors.

Telsa