Re: GNOME PDF Viewer application manual

Hello Remi, Martin, and Andreas,

thank you all very much for returning your comments so quickly :)

I have implemented almost all of your suggestions, and put the updated draft
back into CVS HEAD.
For more details on the changes made, see my embedded comments below.

Please let me know by close of business tomorrow if you would like to make
any additional changes, or if you are happy to approve this version for GNOME
2.6.

Thanks again,
Breda.

Remi's Comments
===============

> Section 2.1:  To Start GNOME PDF Viewer
>   "Choose Graphics -> PDF File Viewer"

The menu item is "PDF file viewer" on my machine, but this might be because
you made this change in a later version than 0.122?
In any case, I have updated the document as you requested :)

>   Section 3.5: To View Bookmarks or Thumbnails
>   "1. Choose View -> Side Pane."
>   Side Pane is now Sidebar.

The menu item is "Side Pane" on my machine, so I presume that you made this
change in a later version than 0.122?  I think that "Side Pane" is the
correct term, according to the section on "Window Terminology" in Version 1.3
of the GNOME Documentation Style Guide:
http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/x3144.html

I must admit I'm curious why you changed this menu item? If you were going to
make any change, I would suggest substituting that entry with two new
entries:"View -> Bookmarks" and "View -> Pages". It's probably too late to
make any more changes now for GNOME 2.6, but perhaps something to bear in
mind for the next release?
In any case, I have updated the GUI label in the document as you requested,
but the descriptive text remains the same.

>   Section 3.9: To Work With Password-Protected PDF Documents
>   I wonder wether a note should explains that gpdf do not make any
>   difference between
>   user & master passwords ?
>   Martin what do you think ?

I've updated the text to state that both types of password are entered in the
same dialog.

Martin's Additional Comments
============================

> Section 3.4 (Page Size): View->Best Fit doesn't resize the page to have
>   the same width and height as the display area, but resizes the page so
>   that it fits in the available area.

I've updated the text.

>   View->Full Screen: restoring the window size is also possible with the
>   F11 and Escape keys (after 0.122, but before GNOME 2.6).

I did not make this change. As stated at the end of the Getting Started
section, there are several ways of performing many actions, but the manual
only documents functionality from the toolbar.

>   Section 3.5 (Sidebar): I relabelled the Thumbnails sidebar "Pages"
>   because for many PDF-files gpdf can show only an overview of pages, and
>   not thumbnails of the page contents.

I've updated the text.

>   Section 3.7 (Printing): Maybe add a note that printing might be disabled
>
>   because the author of the file didn't allow it.

I've added a Note as requested.

>   Printer: The printer "Create a PDF Document" is not supported by gpdf.

I've added a Note.

>   Settings->Configure: duplex printing can be enabled/disabled here if the
>
>   printer supports it.

I've added this text.

>   Location: CUPS is missing. If the selected printer is a CUPS printer,
>   CUPS is the only entry in this drop-down list.

I've added this text.

>   Location File: change "print file" to "PostScript file". gpdf can only
>   generate PostScript files when printing to a file.

I've updated the text.

>   Location Custom: not "print to a particular location", but "print using
>   a particular program" (e.g. lpr with extra command line arguments)

I've updated the text.

>   State/Type/Comment: the dialog is a stock dialog, I don't know what
>   these labels are for. As far as I can see, they are always empty. Hmm...

I've stated that these options are not supported in this version of gpdf.

Andreas' Additional Comment

> similarly (assuming a cups printer) one can schedule delayed printing in
>
>   that dialog.

I've added this text.