Re: Stylesheets [was: Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: Help API for GNOME 2.0]

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 10:10:43AM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:
> I don't want to make things too complicated, but I don't expect that
> handling multiple stylesheets will be very hard.  The hardest part will be
> keeping the stylesheet catalog.  This should not be a big deal I don't
> think.
>
> I'm not worried about documents which don't specify a stylesheet.  These
> documents are just displayed with the standard Norman Walsh stylesheet.
> Similarly, invalid stylesheet requests can just fall back to the default.
> Of course you shouldn't have invalid stylesheets if people put the
> appropriate dependency information into autoconf or the package info
> anyway.  Most GNOME apps would depend on a GNOME stylesheet which is
> shipped with gnome-libs or gnome-core probably.  Packages could also
> potentially ship a special stylesheet which is only used by the docs in
> that package if they want, although very few would actually do this.
>
> This should not make things any more complex for application developers
> and packagers unless they want to use a customized stylesheet.  So, I
> don't see this as a burden on anybody except whoever writes and maintains
> this part of the help system.  Also, nothing about this should be
> GNOME-specific.  In fact, if we don't get the LDP and KDE to sign onto
> this, then there is no point in doing it.
>
> I don't want to push this too hard if others don't like the idea.
> However, I don't think it would be too hard to do, and I think a lot of
> groups (KDE, GNOME, LDP, Mozilla, various Linux/Unix/BSD distributors, and
> others)  would take advantage of this feature and may more likely adopt a
> common help system* if it allowed them to still control the appearance of
> their documents.

Our stylesheet is very close to vanilla. If the ability to tailor a
stylesheet is available, we will probably take advantage of it, but
it's not a big issue, I don't think. I'll check with the list and make
sure, though.

> * I'm moving toward the idea of a free help system to be shared by these
> various groups/distributions. Among other things, it should be able to
> display any document so that it appears the way the author intended
> independent of the desktop or browser the user is using.  It isn't clear
> how much of the code should be shared and how much should just follow a
> similar specification.  I think we all have a lot to gain by working
> together to develop a common help system however.

There's something to be said for customization, but there's also
something to be said for consistency. I hate, for example, the fact
that LDP docs are in 6 different source formats that all render
differently. I'd hate to see Gnome present the same problem.

Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net

If one company dominates everything, it's dangerous. You kill innovation and
you lose the capacity to create alternatives. Ultimately, that isn't good
for the consumer or the country.
	--Samuel Miller, U.S. Justice Department