Re: GNOME Documentation Style Guide

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 04:24:43PM -0400, Dave Mason wrote:
> On 03 Jul 2001 08:43:27 -0400, Kevin Breit wrote:
>
> > A few years ago in English class (yes...this is in the high schools, so
> > remember its quite sterile!) my teacher told us that we should use he
> > over she.  This is because gramatically, the he encompasses both males
> > and females, while she is specific to females.
> > Comments?
> > Kevin Breit
>
> English teachers say many things - many of which conflict with each
> other.
>
> I have always thought that mixing it up is a good idea. So I can talk
> about he in one sentence, and she in the next. I doesn't make the reader
> stumble over the he/she (s)he weirdness. Is it 100% correct - I suppose
> it depends on who you ask - but I have always thought it was a good
> compromise.

I've always mixed them up, too, but I avoid doing so in the space of a
few sentences. I usually alternate between chapters or sections or
examples, so each has an internal consistency.

What a great piece of work this is. Kudos and virtual beer to you all!

Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net

Counting in binary is just like counting in decimal -- if you are all thumbs.
		-- Glaser and Way