Re: entities and Nautilus help

* Mathieu Lacage (mathieu eazel com) wrote at 22:57 on 25/10/00:
> Ali Abdin <aliabdin aucegypt edu> writes:
>
> > * Mathieu Lacage (mathieu eazel com) wrote at 01:43 on 25/10/00:

> > > well, I have no more details than the ones i mailed to the list.
> > > It just throws errors when trying to parse entities... (enable debugging
> > > to see them)
> >
> > Umm - the only thing I saw to the mailing list was/is:
> >
> > "entities are badly broken".
>
> ok, my mail did not made it to the mailing list.
>
> Well, if you enable debugging, you get those errors from libxml and they
> show that libxml is choking on the first use of any SYSTEM entity.
>
> Even though the above error does not seem to have any effect on the
> html generation process, it is not acceptable to ship production code
> with errors which show up like this. We have at least to understand
> where those errors come from, why, and then we can decide to forget
> them if they are really harmless.
>
> I was a little tired when I wrote this mail about entities being
> broken: "they work but are broken".

Yes - this is a _KNOWN_ bug mathieu :) The problem is, we are still using
DocBook SGML. I talked with Daniel Veillard about entities in several email's.
He told me they are broken too. I know they are broken. But I had to make it
'work' for now.

Part of the reason is SGML syntax is /different/ than XML (esp. the first line
in the docs).

Daniel wanted me to do several things, switch to the DOM based parser (instead
of SAX), and use libxml 2.x - I can't switch to DOM because we use SGML, and I
can't switch to libxml 2.x because we are locked into libxml 1.x for Nautilus
1.0 and GNOME 1.4

My hands are tied with this. I am very open to suggestions.

Regards,
Ali