Re: GNOME vs. Gnome

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 05:35:50PM -0400, Aaron Weber wrote:
> So, who wants s/GNOME/Gnome/, and who wants to s/Gnome/GNOME/?

FWIW:

This is not a question regarding "I like it this way...", or even "Yada is
simpler to type or say."  The question really is,

    What is this thing you all are building?

If it is a Network Object thingy then the answer is GNOME.

If you just need some handle to refer to the GUI thingy, then it's Gnome.

Fundamentally, this is a `vision' question and requires a `visionary' answer.
IMO, `vision' answers are very difficult to arrive at by committee.  It
typically takes a visionary who understands the pulse of the community and has
keen discernment into where things need to head.

Having said that heavy, allow me to give a little squeak of input to the
committee or that visionary and say that I think the Network nature of a GUI
interface is very important.  Not that I'm a Sun advocate, but they got it
right when they said, "The network is the computer."  Do you guys and gals
want a GUI which is an interface into the network--in all that that really
means?  Or do you just want a Windoze replacement?

What you call it communicates that vision.  The big advantage of Open Source
Software development is that it captures the needs of all the users.  However,
the flip side of that coin is that there is sometimes not a cohesive vision.
The choice of GNOME versus Gnome will go a considerable way to communicating
the vision.

In the future GNOME will loose its acronym flavor; but, IMO, now is not that
time.
--
Mike Sangrey
mike sojurn lns pa us