Re: Thai Numbering in gnome-doc-utils

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 00:09 +0000, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Shaun McCance wrote:
> >So here's the Wikipedia entry on Greek numerals:
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_numerals
> >
> >Would you consider its definition of the Ionic numeral system
> >to be correct?  Would you prefer ϛ´ or στ´ be used for 6?
> >Also, I don't think I've ever seen a document with a million
> >sections, so I'm going to assume it's all right for me to
> >stop trying after 999,999.
> >

> Indeed, it is ok to go up to 999,999.
> For number 6 please use   στ´
> For 90 and 900, use the standard Ancient Greek symbols. In practical
> terms I believe those two numbers will not pop up very often.
> It is the most common in modern Greek, though there are some occurences
> of  ϛ´.
> (Source: http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n1938.pdf)

Quick question: An inverted acute is placed before a character
to make it larger by a factor of 1000.  So δ´ is 4, but ,δ´ is
4000.  All well and good.  But then, we're using στ instead of
ϛ for 6.  There's no ambiguity there, because σ and τ are both
digits in the 100s places, so they would never otherwise appear
together.

But now, what do we do when we want 6000?  Is it jut ,στ´ or
do we prefix both characters, as in ,σ,τ´?  With the former,
it's not clear if it means ,ϛ´ = 6000 or ,σ´ + τ´ = 200300.
Do I prefix both characters?

--
Shaun