Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:10:51 +0100
From: Gareth Bowker <tgb tgb org uk>
To: Rhys Jones <rhys sucs org>
Subject: Re: [gnome-cy] Webpage + languages

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 01:56:30PM +0100, Rhys Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Gareth Bowker wrote:
>
> > It's a bit bare right now - Rhys, do you mind if I take some of the
> > links from your page to put on it? I'll add the i18n list to the page in
> > a mo too.
>
> Dim problem. I maybe wouldn't use the stuff I had to dredge Google for
> (newsgroup postings and the like), but the other stuff is fine.

Cheers.

> Minor nitpick: I think it's "ymuno &circa;'r rhestr" rather than "ymuno y
> rhestr". and I'd make it an "&circa; fi" in the Welsh contact bit.
> Other than that, great. Many thanks. Diolch.

Oops. I'd typed it up before I'd managed to get a^ inserted as a iso-8859-14
character, so I'd tried to phrase it so as to not use it. I missed this once
I remembered about gcharmap!
On this topic though, something I was talking to Telsa about in Cardiff
vaguely - should we aim for using utf-8 characters for the translations or
iso-8859-14? Also, should we use the iso-8859-14 characters in the webpages,
or as you said &circa; ? To answer the second myself, I'd prefer to use
iso-8859-14 rather than &char;-type conventions, but that's mainly so I can
read what I type into vim easily :)

> Had a chat with Telsa earlier; the result of that was a skeleton language
> policy. Essentially, Welsh and English should, we think, be allowed on
> this list, with the understanding that if technical GNOME-related matters
> are to be discussed, a reply is more likely to be generated if the
> question is asked in English. Welsh-only postings are fine and appropriate
> to a list that is, after all, dedicated to translating a set of software
> into, er, Welsh.
>
> Any comments on that, Gareth?

Sounds good. Thanks :)

Gareth